Follow me on Twitter

Monday 12 April 2010

The pro's and con's of being an Iphone (semi) dependent writer

My second post in two days. I can't pretend that this will continue unless I can find a decent app for the Iphone that will allow me to post while I am travelling to/from or at work (the shift work job that allows me to pay the bills while dreaming of one day being free of its tedious confines).

This post is actually to do with the Iphone. I signed a contract for my first 3G just a little over 18 months ago, and have just begun a new 24 month contract for my new 3GS. Before applying for the phone I'd heard how utterly fantastic it was (I'd agree 100% if it would allow multi-tasking between apps and enable the use of flash, but I still agree that it is pretty damned good) but was stunned at the news that a newly published author had written his entire novel on his Iphone. I remember thinking how ridiculous it was (and to be fair, I still think this) because the auto-dictionary is extremely basic, the keys are too annoying for extended use and the battery life is dire. I find myself carrying a charger wherever I travel in the hope of being able to power my failing battery.
However, since beginning the writing of my own manuscript (on a computer) I have realised the joys of using the notes app to write. I do not limit myself to the notes app, but it is an extremely useful tool for when I am stuck on an early or late shift in my bill-paying job. I am then able to email the note to myself and copy the notes into a word document.
What follows then is an awful lot of cursing at the appalling spelling (while my fingers are quite thin, they can also be quite clumsy) and the fact that the sentences have been dismembered and spread across the page. I despise that my writing muse seems to appear while I have no other means but my Iphone. I become frustrated when it appears that I have to edit entire pages of words when I would much rather be thrusting my hero in new and unfortunate situations.
So, while I love my Iphone and thus it's notes app for enabling me to not be stuck with carrying a pad and pen on my person at all times (as I was in the times when I had only my Sony Ericson to use previously) I become frustrated with having to stifle my muse while I correct mistakes and layout when I have the freedom of a computer at my fingertips.

4 comments:

  1. Guess I'm hopelessly oldfashioned, but I actually *love* carrying notebooks (!) with me wherever I go :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love writing with a notebook but the transfer takes so long! And it's not as easy to pull out a notebook while I'm at work or on the train.

    I do love the mechanics of writing with pen and paper though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. With me the transfer actually takes less time than fixing the layout, but that's prolly because I don't have Word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use my smallest writing (a little bigger than standard printed text) when I hand write so that customers/colleagues can't read what I'm writing. The problem with that is having to concentrate as I decipher my teeny tiny writing. I find I lose focus on editing my writing as I go.

    When I go on holiday in August, I shall be taking a notepad and pen specifically for the purpose of taking my time and enjoying my writing :)

    ReplyDelete